정보

풀턴 AS-1 - 역사


풀턴 III

(AS-1: dp. 1,308; 1. 226'6"; b. 35'; dr. 13's. 12 k.;
cpl. 135; NS. 2 3", cl. 풀턴)

세 번째 Fulton(AS 1)은 1914년 6월 6일 New London Ship and Engine Co., Groton Conn에 의해 진수되었습니다.

Robert Fulton의 증손녀인 Mrs. A. T. Sutcliffe가 후원합니다. 1914년 12월 7일에 취역하여 J. D. Wilson 중위가 지휘했습니다.

첫 6개월 동안 Fulton은 Norfolk, Charleston, New York 및 Newport에서 잠수함을 돌본 후 정밀 검사를 거쳐 1915년 11월 2일 New London에 도착했습니다. 동해안과 케이프 코드에서 쿠바까지 카리브해. 그녀는 기동 및 전쟁 게임에 참여했으며 뉴 런던에서 역으로 복무했으며 1922년 여름에는 대서양 잠수함 소함대 사령관의 기함이었습니다.

Fulton은 Canal Zone의 Coco Solo에 있는 잠수함 기지에 대한 입찰로 재지정되어 1923년 4월 4일 그곳에 도착했으며 다음 해에 파나마 운하 지역의 양측 훈련과 파나마의 Almirante Bay에 대한 조사에 참여했습니다. 그녀는 1925년 7월 14일 필라델피아로 돌아왔고 그곳에서 퇴역하여 1925년 10월 5일에 예비로 배치되었습니다.

Fulton은 1930년 9월 2일 Canal Zone에서 측량선으로 재취역되었으며 1931년 3월 3일 Balboa로 돌아왔습니다. 1931-32년 겨울에 점검을 위해 북쪽으로 항해하는 것 외에 그녀는 아시아 함대에서의 임무를 준비하기 위해 1932년 8월 13일 샌디에이고에 도착할 때까지 운하 지역에서 측량을 수행했습니다. 그녀에게 할당된 역은 홍콩으로 11월 3일에 처음 도착했습니다. 필리핀의 Cavite Navy Yard로 간헐적으로 항해하는 Fulton은 홍콩에서 광저우까지 중국 남부 해안을 순찰했습니다. 엔진에 오일. 선원들은 선수와 선미에 집결했고 HMS Wishart와 SS Tsinan에 의해 이륙했으며 이 중 3명은 경미한 부상을 입었습니다. HMS Whitshed는 구조대가 그녀가 정크 베이로 끌려갈 수 있을 정도로 화재를 충분히 통제할 때까지 불타는 배 옆에 서 있었습니다. 3월 24일, 미군 예인선이 Fulton을 홍콩으로 견인하기 위해 왔고, 그녀는 Cavite로 견인될 수 있도록 긴급 수리를 받았습니다. 그곳에서 그녀는 1934년 5월 12일 퇴역했습니다.


당신은 무엇을 했습니까? 풀턴 조상은 생계를 위해 합니까?

1940년에 Farmer and Teacher는 Fulton이라는 미국의 남성과 여성에게 가장 많이 보고된 직업이었습니다. 풀턴 남성의 16%는 농부로 일했고 풀턴 여성의 7%는 교사로 일했습니다. Fulton이라는 미국인에게 덜 흔한 직업은 트럭 운전사와 가정부였습니다.

*남녀가 서로 다른 업무를 수행하는 시기에 역사적 정확성을 유지하기 위해 상위 직업을 성별로 표시합니다.

1940년 최고의 남성 직업

1940년 최고의 여성 직업


인기 도서 추천

약속의 땅

오바마 대통령의 회고록은 오는 11월 17일 출간될 예정이다.
사본을 예약하려면 [email protected]으로 이메일을 보내주십시오!

반인종차별주의자가 되는 방법

우리 모두를 위한 필수 읽기. 이제 Ibram Kendi의 새 워크북 "Be Anti-Racist"와 함께할 수 있습니다. 둘 다 선택하고 친구를 위해 하나를 가져 가라.

당신은 누구가 될 것입니까?

어린 아이들을 위한 이 감동적인 읽기에 대해 사랑하지 않을 것은 없습니다. 자신이나 인생의 새로운 부모를 위해 선택하기에 완벽한 책입니다.


풀턴 AS-1 - 역사

프랭크 H. 레이거드.
오하이오주 와선,
1934년 1월 15일 .

1850년 2월 28일, 오하이오 총회는 법률에 따라 Lucas, Williams 및 Henry 카운티에서 현재의 경계를 가진 Fulton 카운티를 건립했습니다.

1850년 4월 첫 번째 월요일에 Williams, Lucas 및 Henry 카운티에서 계류 중이었고 계류되어야 했던 모든 형사 및 민사 소송은 마치 Fulton 카운티가 세워지지 않은 것처럼 해당 카운티에서 최종 판결로 기소되었습니다.

모든 평화 재판관은 임기가 만료될 때까지 또는 후임자가 풀턴 카운티를 위해 선출되거나 위임될 때까지 직책을 유지해야 했습니다.

모든 영장 또는 기타 법적 절차는 1850년 4월 1일 이후 Fulton 카운티의 스타일로 지정되었습니다. 해당 카운티의 경계 내에 거주하는 법적 유권자는 1850년 4월 첫 번째 월요일에 집결해야 했습니다. 1850년 10월의 차기 연례 선거까지 봉사할 카운티의 임원을 선출합니다. 그리고 법원은 해당 카운티의 부 판사가 지정한 장소인 Pike 타운십의 편리한 집에서 열릴 예정이었습니다. 해당 카운티 내에서 그리고 해당 카운티를 위해 영구적인 재판관이 설정됩니다.

Franklin 카운티의 Laurens Dewey, Allen 카운티의 Mathias H. Nichols 및 Carroll 카운티의 John Riley는 오하이오 주의회에 의해 임명되었으며, 이 새로운 Fulton 카운티에서 판사의 위치를 ​​수정하고 위치를 지정했습니다.

따라서 이 법의 규정에 따라 양 정당의 사람들은 1850년 3월 말경 파이크 타운십에 있는 다니엘 노울스의 집에서 4월 선거에서 지원될 카운티의 관리를 지명하기 위해 전당대회에 모였습니다. 이 전당대회는 목적의 조화를 위해 완전히 특징지어지지는 않았지만 당시 구 휘그당이 정당 표 선출에 성공하지 못한 결과로 조용히 그 전당대회 선택의 일부에 복종했습니다. 그 대회는 감사원으로 Royalton의 George B. Brown을 Dover의 Mortimer D. Hibbard, Delta의 보안관 CC Allman으로, 기록원으로 Swan Creek의 Nathaniel Leggett를, Gorham의 William Sutton을 재무국장으로 선택했습니다. Christopher Fulton의 Watkins와 Jonathon Barnes는 위원으로 선출되었으며, 해당 새 카운티의 임원으로 정당하게 선출되고 자격을 얻었으며, 각각의 직책에 여러 번 참여했습니다. 그 장소는 새로운 Fulton 카운티를 만드는 법에 따라 Pike에 있는 Robert A. Howard의 집에서 카운티 사업을 위해 임시로 고정되었습니다. Swan Creek의 Nathaniel Leggett, Franklin의 John Kendall, Chesterfield의 Alfred C. Hough가 첫 번째 준 심사위원으로 선출되었습니다. Nathaniel Leggett는 봉사하기를 거부했고 Swan Creek의 Socrates H. Catley가 그의 자리를 채우도록 임명되었습니다. Samuel Durgin은 서기로, John A. Read는 검사로 임명되었으며, 1850년 가을 Alfred C. Hough는 감사관으로 선출되어 판사직을 사임했으며, Chesterfield의 William T. Parmalee와 AM Flickinger는 Gorham의 의원은 1851년 주 헌법이 변경될 때까지 성공적으로 그 직무를 수행했습니다. (색인으로 이동)

1850년의 어느 시점에 오하이오 주의회에 의해 임명되기 위해 이곳에 있는 위원들이 카운티 중심부 근처에 있는 Ottokee에 법무관 자리를 영구적으로 고정했습니다. Aetna, Delta, Spring Hill 및 Fluhart's Corners는 위원들 앞에서 경쟁을 벌였습니다. 위원의 위치 결정은 이후 국민들에 의해 확인됐다. 1차 선거는 선택의 여지가 없었고, 2차 경합을 오토키와 에트나에게 가져왔고, 2차 재판에서는 위와 같은 결과가 나왔다. 카운티의 위원들은 즉시 새로운 부지에 법원 청사를 건립했으며 건물 계약은 Royalton의 A. H. Jordan에게 정식으로 수여되었습니다. 법원은 이후 1864년 7월 16일에 소실되었으며 65년에 다시 재건되었다고 합니다. 1869년에 Wauseon은 소수의 다수에 의해 영향을 받은 군청 소재지 제거를 위한 입법부의 행위에 따라 다시 현장에 뛰어 들었고, 법원이 건설되자마자 올해 하반기라고 생각합니다. 1871년, 즉 1872년 초에 모든 서적과 서류가 새로운 군청 소재지인 와선으로 옮겨졌고 그 후 모든 업무는 와선에서 처리되어 오늘날까지 번성하는 도시가 되었습니다.

그러나 현재의 풀턴 카운티, 당시 우드 카운티 및 기타 카운티의 현재 한계 내에서 초기의 역사적 열거로 돌아가기 위해 첫 번째 정착촌은 1833년 Aetna의 Phillip's Corners에서 시작되었습니다. Swan Creek Twp.의 Franklin Delta Township과 Dover Township의 Spring Hill에서 Creek(Tiffin River라고 함).

1833년부터 1836년까지 이 지점에 처음 정착할 당시 많은 인디언들이 카운티를 배회하며 사냥을 하고 있었는데, 사슴, 곰, 너구리, 밍크, 수달이 가장 호의적이었습니다. 야생 칠면조는 인도인과 개척자 백인 모두에게 여전히 매우 풍부하게 가구가 비치된 음식과 스포츠입니다.

이 영토의 인디언들은 주로 마우미 계곡의 일부와 인디애나주 북동부와 미시간주 남부를 가로질러 뻗어 있는 포토와토미족 부족에 속했으며, 그들은 이 땅의 원래 소유주였습니다. 전통에 따르면 이 나라에 여러 세대에 걸쳐 거주해 왔습니다.

Maumee 계곡에 적절하게 거주하고 가끔 발생했던 오타와인과의 혼인은 반도 위쪽에 있는 치페와인과의 혼인도 마찬가지입니다. 통혼은 Pottowatomies에게 전쟁에서 힘과 강력한 동맹국을 제공했습니다. 이 카운티의 주요 마을은 제이콥 맥퀼런과 에드워드 하워드가 들어간 땅에 파이크 타운십(Pike Township)의 에트나(Aetna) 근처에 있는 배드 크릭(Bad Creek)의 양쪽 제방에 위치하고 있으며 현재 Hon 농장에서 소유 및 수용하고 있습니다. D. W. H. Howard, 그의 과수원과 건물의 현재 위치를 주로 점유. 부지는 땅이 높고 구불구불하며 카운티에서 순수한 단 물의 가장 훌륭한 샘물을 제공하기 때문에 인디언 마을에 유리했습니다. 1834년 최초의 정착 당시에는 초기 프랑스 상인들이 심은 매우 오래된 복숭아나무가 여럿 있었고 열매를 맺으며 여전히 번성하고 있었습니다. 풀턴 카운티의 현재 서클 내에서는 인디언 마을에 이보다 더 유리한 위치를 찾을 수 없었습니다. (색인으로 이동)

이 지역의 매우 독특한 특징(오하이오주 북서부에서는 드문 일이 아님)은 약 3에이커의 땅을 둘레에 둘러싸고 있는 원형의 둔덕입니다. 그 고분은 각각 뚜렷하고 지름이 30~60피트, 높이가 2~3피트이며 사람의 뼈로 채워져 있어 고대 매장지나 많은 사람들이 살았던 전쟁터가 있었음을 알 수 있습니다. 살해당했다. 나는 존경하는 친구인 DWH Howard에게서 배웠습니다. 그 당시 인디언들 사이에는 전통조차 존재하지 않았으며, 그 전통은 시간의 전망 어딘가에서 미시시피 주의 주민들 사이에 큰 전투가 벌어졌음을 지적합니다. 그리고 동쪽, 그리고 이 매장지는 이 다툼의 결과였습니다. 시간과 쟁기가 그것들을 다소 낮췄지만 여전히 눈에 띕니다. 그 위에 지을 목적으로 이 고분 중 하나를 발굴하면서 Howard 씨는 뼈를 발견하고 조심스럽게 수집하여 다른 고분에 다시 묻었다고 말했습니다. 그는 죽은 자의 재를 아주 조심스럽게 보존할 수 있는 인디언의 진정한 친구입니다.

이 마을은 네세노우보(Nesenowbo) 또는 준나우보(Junenowbo)라고 불렸는데, 이는 포토토와토미족의 언어로 두 소년 또는 쌍둥이 소년을 의미합니다. 그것은 옳지 않은 백인 쌍둥이 Naba에 의해 호출되었습니다. 다른 여러 작은 정착지가 있었는데, 하나는 카운티 북쪽의 빈 크릭(초기에는 티핀 강이라고 불림)에 있었고 하나는 카운티 동쪽 가장자리의 스완 크릭 유역에 있었으며 교역소였습니다. 오래 전에 세상을 떠난 한 Lakins가 보관하고 그의 인도 고객을 행복한 사냥터로 안내합니다.

또한 도버 타운십의 스프링 힐에는 인디언들이 가장 좋아하는 캠핑장 중 하나가 있었는데, 인디언들에게 훌륭한 샘물이 제공되어 그가 사랑하는 화수(위스키) 순수한 단 물에 이어 두 번째였습니다. 죽은 자의 시신은 쟁기로 뒤집거나 삽으로 던졌을 때 여전히 가끔 보일 수 있습니다.

역사는 초기 개척자들이 이 광야에 정착하면서 겪었던 고난, 그들이 겪었던 궁핍, 성장하는 가족을 위해 가정을 꾸리고 나무 절구에 찧은 옥수수로 만든 호밀빵과 야생 고기를 먹고 살기 위한 노동과 수고를 우리에게 알려줍니다. 노동의 간격으로 얻을 수 있었지만 역사에는 이 카운티의 경내에서 인디언의 손에 의해 피가 흘린 적이 없다는 기록이 없습니다. 백인은 그들의 영역을 잠식한 것에 대해 "이 땅에 대해 그는 인간의 기억이 반대가 되지 않는 시간에 대한 우선권을 보유하고 여기에 그의 권리를 확립한 위대한 정신의 특허를 추가했습니다. "(Lanman's Michigan) 초기 백인 정착이 시작될 때 이 영토에 약 3,000명의 인디언이 있었고 그들의 예절과 관습은 오하이오의 다른 부족과 동일했습니다. ho는 Maumee Valley에 거주했습니다. 그들은 모피를 다른 상품과 교환했습니다. 이 땅에 대한 인디언의 소유권이 소멸된 후 우리 정부와 맺은 조약에서 그들은 함께 모여 미시시피 너머로 옮겨졌습니다. 그들의 조상 중 일부가 세상을 떠났으므로 오늘날 우리는 풀턴 카운티의 땅에 인디언이 없습니다. 역사가는 야생 상태에 있는 인디언뿐만 아니라 이 광야 국가의 초기 정착에서 강건한 개척자들의 습관, 예절, 관습, 생활 방식에 대해 많은 기록을 남겼을 것입니다. 현세대. 오늘날 많은 사람들은 초기 정착민들이 겪었던 고난과 궁핍에 대해 매우 불완전한 개념만을 가지고 있습니다. (색인으로 이동)

원래 Lucas에서 조직된 이 카운티의 모든 영토는 York Township으로 스타일이 지정되었으며, 이후 1837년 이래로 현재 존재하는 다양한 하위 구역으로 조직되었습니다. 아마도 발렌타인 윈슬로, 데이비드 호바트, 제이콥 맥퀼린은 현재 풀턴 카운티의 현재 경계에 있는 최초의 백인 거주자였으며, 그 직후 엘리 필립스와 아내가 로열턴에 정착했으며 지금은 처음 정착한 농장에 거주하고 있습니다. . 1834년 Messrs, Anson, Willard, James Trowbridge, Wm Fraker는 York Township의 Delta 근처에 정착했습니다. Robert A. Howard, Daniel Knowles, John Scindell 및 James Dixon은 현재 PikeTownship에 정착했습니다. Joseph Applegate, Nathaniel S. Ketcham, William Smith(때때로 Billy 삼촌이라고 불림)가 뒤를 이어 George Welch, Butler Richardson, Henry Jordan, Snow Carpenter, Jared Hoadley 및 Eli Phillips가 1833년 6월에 이곳에 정착했습니다.

서쪽, 가장 가까운 백인 정착지는 Maumee의 Waterville에서 남쪽으로 70마일이었습니다.

MD Hibbard, JJ Schnall, J. Walters - Bennett, William Hoffmire 및 Pilu Lott는 다른 사람들과 함께 지금은 Dover 타운십에 있는 Spring Hill에 정착했습니다. 이 영역을 조사했습니다. 그는 총각이었고, 매우 지적이고 평가할 수 있는 사람이었습니다. 어린 시절의 실망으로 인해 문명사회를 떠나 그대로 은둔자의 삶을 살았다고 한다. 측량사라는 직업은 그를 숲에 국한시켰고, 숲에 대한 애착은 숲의 토착민 못지않게 강했습니다. 여름에는 푸른 융단을 소파에 깔고 하늘의 맑은 천개를 덮고 숲에서 잠을 자고, 겨울에는 거센 바람을 피하기 위해 서둘러 나무 껍질과 통나무 오두막을 지었습니다. 그의 영향으로 우리의 고인이 된 M. D. Hibbard가 이 카운티에 왔고, 그에 의해 스프링 힐에 집이 마련되었고 그곳에서 평생을 보냈습니다.

확인 가능한 한, George Wiers는 그 지역에서 태어난 최초의 백인이었고 현재 Pike의 Mullen Farm으로 알려진 곳에서 살았습니다.

Lyman Parcher의 조카와 Auretus Knight의 딸이 우리의 존경하는 마을 사람 Daniel Knowles JP에 의해 결혼으로 결합되었습니다. 이 지역의 아주 초기 역사에서 그리고 아마도 첫 번째 또는 적어도 첫 번째 결혼 중 이 카운티의 현재 현재 한계.

Swan Creek Township의 가장 오래된 정착민 중에는 David Williams, Thomas Gleason, William Sheffield, Aeldes Ney 및 Thomas Fraker가 있습니다. 얼마 후 Hon을 따랐다. S. H. 케이틀리 등.

Swan Creek은 1836년 York Township에서 조직되었습니다. Franklin Township은 Lucas County의 관할하에 있는 1842년에 조직되었습니다. 현재 Williams County의 추가로 존재하므로 1835년에 Creek에 정착한 Joseph Bates, Bruce Packard가 첫 번째 정착자로 구성됩니다. 1835년에 John Shaffer와 Adam Poorman이 Joseph Ely, Asher Bird, SB Darby 및 William Youngs 다음으로 1835년에서 1837년까지 이어졌습니다. Bird가 도착한 직후에 그는 Mill Creek에 제분소를 지었습니다. 그 유적은 현재 볼 수 있습니다. Franklin의 다른 초기 정착민 중에는 John McLaughlin, Leonard Whitmore, John Bowser, Ozias Barnes 및 John J. Clark이 있습니다. Ransome Reynolds와 Pollonia Crandall은 Franklin 타운십에서 처음으로 결혼한 사람이었고 독일의 평화 판사인 Mathews Borton과 결혼했습니다. 지상의 첫 번째 설교자는 연합형제회 존 바우저였습니다. 이 카운티의 초기에 Samuel B. Darby와 Leonard Whitmore는 각각 Bean Creek에 가게를 지었습니다. Franklin은 Williams 카운티의 Mill Creek 및 Brady Townships 이후로 German 및 Gorham Townships에서 조직되었습니다.

존 맥러플린(John McLaughlin)의 자매는 옛날에 멀리 떨어져 있던 이 시대처럼 자연스러운 결혼 준비로 아침에 빨래를 하고 옥수수 반 부셸을 껍질을 벗기고 머리에 메고 버드의 집으로 갔다. 2마일 떨어진 Mill은 그것을 갈아서 같은 방식으로 가져와서 같은 날 저녁 잔치에 사용할 푸딩을 구웠고 같은 날 결혼했습니다.

Fulton Township은 Amboy Township을 수용하여 아주 초기에 조직되었습니다. 최초의 주민 중에는 Hiram Bartlett, John Blain, William Blain 및 Charles Blain이 있었는데, 그의 어머니는 아들 Charles와 함께 살았으며 약 3년 전에 100세의 노년으로 사망했습니다. David와 Jerry Duncan, Tunis Lewis, John Lewis 및 Charles Welch가 첫 번째 사람이었습니다.

Hiram Bartlett의 생애에서 한 사건은 여기에서 주목할 가치가 있습니다. 그는 일찍 모자 장수 장사를 배웠고 21세에 도착했을 때(생일 파티를 하는 것이 관례였기 때문에) 그 사건을 기념하기 위해 파티를 열었습니다. 럼주는 사이드 보드에서 관례였으며 당시 사회의 모든 구성원이 자유롭게 마셨습니다. 그날 그는 럼주로 가득 찬 한 병을 가져다가-가상 물질이 아님-을 마개를 막고 밀봉한 다음, 그곳에서 회사 참석자들 앞에서 자신의 생명을 구하지 않는 한 평생 알코올 음료를 맛보지 않을 것이라고 선언했습니다. 그리고 나서 5명의 의사로 구성된 평의회에서 그것이 필요하다고 결정하고, 필요하다고 결정하면 병을 열어서 처방을 내려야 했습니다. 그는 지난 가을에 사망했습니다. 병은 미개봉 상태로 현재 그의 아들 Russell Bartlett가 소유하고 있습니다.

Chesterfield Township은 1837년에 조직되었으며 현재 Gorham의 타운십 또는 Williams 카운티 라인의 동쪽 부분을 모두 포함합니다. 타운십의 첫 번째 사람은 Chesterfield Clemens였으며 그의 이름을 따서 타운십이 명명되었습니다. Amaziah Turner는 뉴욕주 퍼트남 카운티에서 왔습니다. 나는 그가 1835년에 이곳에 정착했다고 믿습니다. Amaziah의 딸인 Martha Turner는 이 마을에서 태어난 첫 아이였습니다. Alfred C. Hough와 Harlow Butler는 이 타운십의 첫 정착민 중 일부였습니다.

Gorham은 1838년 Chesterfield에서 조직되었으며 최초의 개척자 중에는 Gorham Cottrell과 가족, James Baker, George D. Kellogg, Worden이라는 이름의 남자, Philander Crane, Levi Crifford, Benjamin F. Dee 등이 있었습니다. Gorham Township의 초기 정착민 대부분은 가난했고 새로운 숲이 우거진 국가에서 발생하는 모든 궁핍함을 견뎌냈습니다. 그 당시 Gorham, Franklin 및 German에 대한 무역 장소는 Adrian, Michigan에서, 밀링 작업은 라인 바로 위의 Medina와 Canadaguia에서 이루어졌습니다.

독일인과 클린턴은 아주 이른 날짜에 조직되었으며, 그 시기와 그들의 정착촌, 그리고 내가 아직까지 누구에 의해 누구에 의해, 내가 확신하는 바와 같이 사람들에게 제시할 수 있는 정확한 역사를 얻을 수 없었습니다. York 타운십은 우드 카운티에 속해 있는 동안 조직이 있는 카운티에서 처음으로 조직된 타운십이었습니다. 현재 한계 내에서의 역사는 내가 아는 것이 거의 없습니다.

Fulton County Ohio의 German Township에 대한 2개의 다른 역사를 찾았습니다.
지역 신문에서. 하나는 1870년에, 다른 하나는 1877년에 출판되었습니다.
둘 다 흥미로운 읽을거리가 포함되어 있습니다. 1) 독일 타운십 역사를 보려면 여기를 클릭하십시오.
1870년 2월 10일자 노스웨스턴 공화당 신문

2) 독일 타운십 역사를 보려면 여기를 클릭하십시오.
1877년 1월 25일자 노스웨스턴 공화당 신문
이 카운티에 배치된 첫 번째 마을 부지는 파이크 타운십에 있는 에트나였으며, 윌킨슨이라는 사람이 에드워드 하워드(D. W. H. 하워드의 아버지)와 함께 인디언과의 교역소로 블록 하우스를 그 위에 지었습니다. 그 같은 블록 하우스가 여전히 Aetna에 서 있지만 외부와 새 지붕에 올라간 이후로 얼마 동안 초기 개척자 생활의 기념비가 되기 위해 공평하게 입찰했습니다. 이 시대의 당신은 그 초기 개척자들의 고난에 대해 약간만 이해하고 있습니다. 10 x 12피트 이하의 조잡하게 건설된 오두막에 사는 많은 사람들은 창문이 없는 몇 개의 틈새를 빼내고, 조잡하게 건설된 침대 받침대를 사용하는 경우를 제외하고는 많은 경우에 일부 모서리의 통나무에 침대 레일이 삽입된 기둥 하나를 사용합니다. 당신의 봄철 소파와 카펫이 깔린 방에서 당신의 아버지와 어머니의 잠이 오늘과 같이 달콤했습니다.

카운티의 성장하는 힘과 아름다움은 밀, 옥수수, 귀리, 건초 등의 농업적 이익에 있습니다. 도덕의 순수성은 여성의 미덕과 존엄성, 학교의 우수성에 의해 유지됩니다. 현재의 영광과 미래의 희망입니다. 100년 동안 감사한 마음으로 고향을 찾은 자유민들에게 휘날리는 성조기를 자랑스럽게 바라보고 이 유산을 후세에 전할 수 있기를 바랍니다. 100주년이 되는 해의 미래 전망은 미래에 대한 오늘날의 우리처럼 호의적일 수 있습니다. (색인으로 이동)

Wauseon은 1854년 3월에 배치되었으며 J. H. Sargent, Esq. 오타와 국가의 주요 추장 중 한 명을 기리기 위해.

백인의 1/4인 인디언 추장인 Wauseon은 미시시피 서부 정부에 의해 추방되어 1849년에 사망했습니다. 그는 고귀한 인디언이었고 매우 존경받았습니다. 그는 모카신을 신고 6피트 3인치에 섰고, 몸매가 좋고 균형이 잘 잡혀 있었습니다. 첫 번째 건물은 1854년 4월 4일에 세워졌습니다. 마을의 소유주는 Nat입니다. Leggett, J. H. Sargent, William H. Hall 및 E. L. Barber.

1854년 7월 20일, 당시 마을의 인구는 15명이었던 에어라인 로드의 장소를 차량의 첫 번째 열차가 통과했습니다.

Wauseon의 첫 번째 호텔은 "Estelle House"로 명명되었습니다. Wauseon의 첫 번째 주택 토지는 Lorenzo Dow Bayes 삼촌 Tom Bayes로부터 구입했습니다.

최초의 교회는 1855년 여름에 감리교인들에 의해 세워졌습니다. 1863년과 1864년에 제자들이 교회를 세웠고 1864년에 회중주의자들이 교회를 세웠습니다. 1874년과 1875년에 감리교인들은 현재의 크고 넓은 교회를 세웠습니다. 1875년에 가톨릭 신자들이 교회를 세웠고, 1868년에 침례교도들이 교회를 세웠습니다.

최초의 소방차는 1863년에 구입했고, 1875년에는 웅장한 소방차를 구입했습니다. 둘 다 좋고 필요한 경우에 사용합니다. 1857년 4월 11일, Wauseon을 통합 빌리지로 조직하기 위한 청원이 접수되어 AC Hough, County Auditor에게 제출되었습니다. County Commissioners of the County, Stephen Houghton, Joseph Ely, George Taft의 승인은 1857년 6월 13일 오타키.

첫 번째 위원회는 시장, Nat Leggett Recorder, E. L. Barber 및 시의원, James Cornell, M. D. Munn, Thomas Scott, E. L. Hayes 및 Anson Huntington으로 구성되었습니다. 1858년 9월 28일 제1차 공의회가 열렸다.

1860년 마을의 인구는 350명이었고 현재 인구는 약 2500명이다. 최초의 백인 정착민이자 실제 거주자인 John Newcomer는 1844년 5월 당시 광야로 이주하여 통나무집을 짓고 농장을 청소하고 개선하는 작업을 시작했습니다. Wauseon 마을에 두 개의 추가. (색인으로 이동)


풀턴 AS-1 - 역사

풀턴 카운티의 간략한 역사

18세기 이전에는 풀턴 카운티가 될 땅이 모호크 인디언에 의해 사냥과 낚시터로 사용되었습니다. 세기가 바뀌면서 뉴잉글랜드인과 Hudson River Valley의 정착민들은 국경을 따라 농지를 찾기를 희망하면서 확장을 모색했습니다.

1704년에 ​​뉴욕 법무장관인 Sampson Broughton은 현재 Broadalbin과 Perth가 포함된 지역에서 Mohawk Indians로부터 700,000에이커를 구입했습니다. 불행히도 모호크족은 토지 소유권에 대한 지식이 거의 없었고 쉽게 이용당했습니다.

이 Kayaderosseras Tract는 Broughton이 거의 값없이 구입한 경우였습니다. 부정직한 음모를 발견하고 모호크족은 당연히 화를 냈고 1763년 프렌치 인디언 전쟁이 끝날 때까지 이 지역에 영구적인 정착지가 만들어지지 않았습니다.

1929년 모나크 음식 배 비행기

뉴욕의 영국 정부와 다른 개인들은 보조금과 특허를 통해 재판매를 위해 토지를 계속 사들였습니다. 1753년에 Arent Stevens와 몇몇 다른 사람들은 정부로부터 20,000에이커의 땅을 구입했습니다.

Church St 1940에서 남쪽을 바라보는 4개의 코너

Kingsborough Patent는 오늘날의 Johnstown과 Gloversville을 포함하여 Johnstown, Mayfield, Ephratah의 현재 Towns의 일부를 포함했습니다. 특허 소유권은 곧 William Johnson 경에게 양도되었습니다. 프렌치 인디언 전쟁 영웅인 남작이자 인디언 사무국장인 존슨(1756-1774)은 1762년 존스 타운(아들의 이름을 따서 지음)에 홀을 짓기 시작했습니다.

Johnson의 지시에 따라 광대한 Albany 군은 1772년에 현재의 Fulton 군을 포함하는 Albany, Charlotte 및 Tryon의 세 개의 작은 군으로 분할되었습니다. 카운티의 이름은 영국 왕립 뉴욕 주지사인 William Tryon의 이름을 따서 명명되었습니다. Johnstown이 카운티 소재지로 선택되었고 그곳에 법원과 감옥이 세워졌습니다. Tryon 카운티에는 Mohawk, Stone Arabia(1773년 Palatine로 개명), Kingsland, German Flatts 및 Canajoharie의 5개 지역이 있었습니다.

사칸다가 파크 미드웨이

가죽과 장갑 산업은 18세기 말과 19세기 초에 급속하게 발전하여 이 지역에 성장과 성공을 가져왔습니다. 1830년대에 이르러 카운티 인구의 중심은 존스타운 남쪽으로 이동했고 사람들은 카운티 소재지를 폰다로 옮기도록 청원했습니다. 이동은 1836년 주 의회에 의해 승인되었고 Johnstown의 법원과 감옥은 매각되었습니다.

Johnstown의 주민들은 변화에 만족하지 않았습니다. Daniel Cady 판사(여성 인권 운동가 Elizabeth Cady Stanton의 아버지)가 이끄는 일단의 주민들은 새로운 카운티 창설을 위한 청원서를 작성했습니다.

풀턴 카운티는 1838년 4월 18일 입법부에 의해 만들어졌습니다. 그것은 발명가이자 엔지니어인 로버트 풀턴의 이름을 따서 명명되었습니다. 그것은 Bleecker, Broadalbin, Ephratah, Johnstown, Mayfield, Northampton, Oppenheim, Perth 및 Stratford의 타운을 포함했습니다.

감옥과 법원은 새로운 카운티에 의해 환매되었고 카운티 소재지는 Johnstown으로 반환되었습니다. 1842년 Johnstown, Stratford 및 Bleecker의 일부에서 Caroga 타운이 만들어졌고 Broadalbin의 일부로 Perth가 확장되었습니다. 1860년에 새칸다가 공원 근처의 작은 카운티가 해밀턴 카운티로 이전되었습니다. 따라서 Fulton County는 오늘날과 같이 만들어졌습니다.

Keep 'Em Smilin 1954년 5월

오늘날 풀턴 카운티는 역사를 사랑하는 사람이나 야외 모험가에게 이상적인 곳입니다.

Adirondack 공원의 남쪽 부분에 위치한 이 카운티는 수십 개의 하이킹 코스, 낚시와 보트 타기를 위한 아름다운 호수와 강, 멋진 캠핑, 대자연을 경험할 수 있는 기타 기회를 자랑합니다.

문화유산 관광객은 이곳에 위치한 풍부한 보존 유적지, 박물관 및 미술관을 즐길 수 있습니다. 관광객과 주민 모두 풀턴 카운티가 멋진 곳이라는 데 동의합니다.


풀턴 맨션: 텍사스의 아름다움과 역사의 지속적인 유산

남편과 나는 최근 Rockport-Fulton으로의 여행에서 아름답고 역사적인 Fulton Mansion을 방문하는 데 몇 시간을 보냈습니다. 우리는 적어도 일 년에 한 번 Rockport를 방문하려고 노력하며, Aransas Bay의 멋진 전망이 있는 Fulton Beach Road의 위풍당당한 집은 항상 꼭 봐야 할 곳입니다. 이 텍사스 주립 유적지를 방문할 때마다 조지 W. 풀턴과 그가 아내 해리엇과 가족을 위해 지은 호화로운 집에 대해 더 많이 알게 됩니다.

기억에 남는 12월 방문에서 우리는 Fulton Mansion에서 구식 크리스마스 캐롤의 저녁을 즐겼습니다. 학교 합창단은 200명이 넘는 등대가 있는 촛불이 켜진 잔디밭에서 전통 음악을 불렀습니다. 정통 복장을 한 도슨트가 맨션 1층을 안내하고 교육 센터에서 따뜻한 사이다와 진저 브레드를 제공했습니다.

Harvey는 혼란을 일으키다

사진: 풀턴 맨션 썬룸

허리케인 Harvey가 리조트 타운을 황폐화시킨 후, 우리는 몇 달 후에 돌아와서 대대적인 수리와 개조를 위해 문을 닫은 맨션을 발견했습니다. 카테고리 IV 허리케인은 2017년 8월 25일 록포트에 상륙했으며 폭풍의 눈은 몇 시간 동안 그곳에 머물렀습니다. Harvey는 이 지역의 호텔, 학교, 주택 및 기타 여러 구조물을 철거했습니다. 그러나 143년 된 맨션은 나무 판자 구조와 셸크리트 기초를 쌓았고 매우 견고하게 지어졌으며 대부분의 현대식 구조물보다 폭풍우를 더 잘 견뎌냈습니다.

그러나 저택의 평평한 금속 지붕과 굴뚝은 파괴되었고 카펫 내부, 석고 벽 및 수집품이 심하게 손상되었습니다. 풀턴 맨션의 교육 및 역사 센터는 2017년 11월 2일에 다시 문을 열었습니다. 비록 맨션이 방문객을 위해 한동안 다시 열리지는 않겠지만, 우리는 센터를 방문하여 그 역사를 계속 공부할 수 있었습니다.

풀턴 맨션 투어링

올해 마침내 보수 공사가 완료되어 우리는 Fulton Mansion에 대해 보다 유익한 정보를 얻을 수 있는 특권을 누렸습니다. 박물관 매장 관리자인 Christi Morgan은 우리의 명료하고 정보가 풍부한 여행 가이드였습니다. 그녀는 우리를 이전에 볼 수 없었던 위층 방과 지하 공간을 보도록 안내하면서 Fulton 가족에 대한 더 많은 정보를 제공했습니다. 우리는 George Fulton의 기업가 정신과 엔지니어링 전문성에 다시 한 번 놀랐습니다. 그의 혁신에는 변기 물 내리기와 구조물의 4층 건물 냉난방 시스템이 포함되었습니다.

정교한 프랑스 제2제국 건축 양식으로 설계된 Fulton Mansion은 1874년부터 1877년까지 진행 중인 작업이었습니다. It featured indoor plumbing that provided water to sinks in all six bedrooms, plus gas lighting and central heating. The family home even boasted three bathrooms (at a time when many rural Texans relied on outhouses) with built-in bathtubs. These engineering feats must have been especially extraordinary in the late 1800s. The mansion was originally called Oakhurst, for the numerous live oak trees populating the 60-acre grounds.

George Fulton Joins Texas Republic

Photo: Texas Historical Commission

Learning about George Fulton’s life is almost like reading a Texas history book. Like Davy Crockett from Tennessee, George tried to bring a band of volunteers from his Indiana home to fight in the 1836 Texas war for independence. Unlike Crockett, he arrived in Texas too late to fight in the war that had ended in April at San Jacinto. Fulton still enlisted in the Texas Republic’s army, and when he left military service he was awarded land grants. He became friends with Henry Smith, a key figure in the Texas Republic. Smith was elected provisional governor of Texas while it tried to escape Mexican rule.

The two men partnered on several business ventures, and Fulton married Smith’s 17-year-old daughter Harriett in 1840. In 1846 George and Harriett moved east with their three children (two more children were born later). George became successful in everything he tried. From 1846-1865 he worked as a newspaper reporter, railroad superintendent, civil engineer, bridge builder, and inventor of a patented device to improve ship propellers. But when his homesick Texan wife expressed her longing to return home, George agreed to return to Texas.

From Civil Engineer to Cattle Baron

Photo: George Fulton’s study, courtesy Texas Historical Commission

In 1867, soon after the family returned to Texas, George established the town of Fulton. Always an innovator, George built a wharf on Aransas Bay and also established a meatpacking business. He partnered with local ranchers Coleman and Mathis to start a ranching enterprise and even patented an improved method of curing and cooling meat. In 1879, the Coleman-Fulton Pasture Co. had 200,000 acres of ranch land. George had become known as a Cattle Baron.

When George was 83, he died at home in the palatial mansion he built for his beloved Harriett. The couple had been married 53 years, and their golden anniversary was celebrated with a lavish party at Fulton Mansion. The party was lovingly detailed by society papers across Texas. Harriett only stayed at Fulton Mansion a few years after George’s death before moving to Ohio to live with a daughter’s family. The family sold the vacant Fulton Mansion in 1906, and Harriett died in 1910 at age 88.

Texas Historic Site Since 1976

George and Harriett Fulton are buried side by side in the Rockport Cemetery. Their lovely mansion endured years of changing owners and neglect. It slowly fell into disrepair, since most owners didn’t have the funds needed to maintain such a large house. One owner tried running a restaurant there. For almost 20 years, from the late 1950s until 1976, it was part of a trailer park. The mansion’s basement was used as a recreation area.

Fortunately, the State of Texas designated Fulton Mansion as a historic site in 1976 and purchased the property for $150,000. Renovations began in 1979 it took seven years and $1.6 million to restore the mansion back to its original condition. After Fulton Mansion opened to the public on Dec. 10, 1983, over 1,600 visitors toured the mansion that first month. More than 20,000 visitors tour the Fulton Mansion each year. It is maintained by Texas Historical Commission with support from the nonprofit Friends of Fulton Mansion and the cities of Rockport-Fulton.


What Were the Technological Advances of the Industrial Revolution?

Between 1775 and 1908, the Industrial Revolution brought about technological advances in transportation, communication and productivity. These inventions shaped the modern world and continue to influence technological inventions.

In 1775, James Watt's steam engine sparked the Industrial Revolution by creating a new mechanism for powering locomotives and machinery. This made it possible to build factories and run machinery even when no water power was available. It also inspired Robert Fulton to launch steamboats on the Hudson River in 1807, opening the door for transatlantic travel. The steam engine led to the development of the electric motor in 1888 and the diesel engine in 1892, which fueled the development of the auto industry.

Samuel Morse invented the telegraph in 1836, a major technological development in communication. This device used electromagnetic currents to create codes that could be transmitted great distances via paper strips, leading Cyrus Field to invent the transatlantic cable in 1866, and Alexander Graham Bell to make the first telephone call in 1876.

Other developments of the Industrial Revolution that increased industrial productivity were Eli Whitney's cotton gin in 1798, Elias Howe's sewing machine in 1844, and Thomas Edison's harnessing of electricity to create the first light bulb in 1879.


History of Clark-Fulton | Cleveland Neighborhood Series: Part 1

Join The Veale Institute on Friday, April 9, at 12 p.m. via Zoom for a seminar discussion on the history of Clark-Fulton.

This will be the first session of a Cleveland Neighborhood series on Clark-Fulton.

    , Krieger Mueller Associate Professor of Applied History, CWRU Historian/Sr. VP for Research/Publications, Western Reserve Historical Society, Editor, Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
  • Art Ledger, Owner A&K Taxidermy , President, Hispanic Police Officers Association

This discussion will be moderated by Eduardo Bautista, New Business Developer for the Hispanic Business Center. Bautista is currently pursuing his BS in Computer Science at CWRU.

Series Overview:

Did you know the Clark-Fulton neighborhood is home to over 11,000 residents and the densest population of Hispanic and Latino residents in the state of Ohio? This neighborhood is a thriving community full of vibrancy and diversity.

Join us for a three-part virtual seminar series to learn more about the history of Clark-Fulton, meeting local entrepreneurs building their businesses in the neighborhood as well as how community stakeholders are working together to support and celebrate this neighborhood.


Engineering begins at ASU

The early years at ASU

It all began on February 26, 1885 when House Bill 164, “An Act to Establish a Normal School in the Territory of Arizona,” was introduced to the 13th Legislative Assembly of the Arizona Territory by John Samuel Armstrong. The bill, strongly supported by Charles Trumbull Hayden of Tempe, passed the House on March 6 and the Council on March 11 and was signed by Governor F. A. Tritle on March 12, 1885, thereby founding the institution known today as Arizona State University. Under the supervision of Principal Hiram Bradford Farmer, instruction was instituted on February 8, 1886, when 33 students met in a single room on land donated by George and Martha Wilson of Tempe.

The 1957-1959 course catalog included courses in the division of engineering in chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, engineering science, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering and nuclear engineering. The 1959-1961 catalog expanded to 190 courses plus 35 doctoral courses, up from 99 total in the first catalog.

As of May 31, 1960, 136 Bachelor of Science in Engineering and 10 Master of Science in Engineering degrees were granted.

The formation of the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences

During the 1960s, with the presidency of Dr. G. Homer Durham, Arizona State University began its academic rise with the establishment of several new colleges including the College of Fine Arts, the College of Law, the College of Nursing, and the School of Social Work. It also began a reorganization which formed the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. At this time the university also gained the authority to award the Doctor of Philosophy and other doctoral degrees, a big step towards becoming a serious institution.

The College of Engineering and Applied Sciences was divided into four divisions of instruction: agriculture, architecture, engineering and technology. Engineering fields of specialization included: chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, engineering science, industrial engineering and mechanical engineering.

The next three presidents—Harry K. Newburn, 1969-71, John W. Schwada, 1971-81, and J. Russell Nelson, 1981-89—and Interim President Richard Peck, 1989, led the university to increased academic stature, expansion of the campuses, and rising enrollment.

Under the leadership of Dr. Lattie F. Coor, from 1990 to June 2002, ASU grew to serve the Valley of the Sun through multiple campuses and extended education sites. During his tenure, ASU was named to Research Extensive status by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. At that time, nationally, only 88 universities had been granted this status, indicating successful garnering of support for research projects and educating future scientists.

A New American University

In 2002, ASU entered a new phase when Michael M. Crow joined the university as its 16th president. At his inauguration, President Crow highlighted his vision for transforming ASU into a New American University — one that is open and inclusive that embraces its cultural, socioeconomic, and physical setting and that promotes use-inspired research. As the only research university serving the entire metropolitan Phoenix area, ASU is in a unique position to evolve together with the city into one of the great intellectual institutions in the world.

The university also began a significant realignment initiative known as “One University in Many Places,” which adopted a college/school-centric model for restructuring ASU across four distinct full-service campuses valley-wide. Today, the engineering schools have more than one million square feet of space on the Tempe campus, providing room for a growing faculty to advance use-inspired research.

Fulton Schools go global

The office of Global Outreach and Executive Education (GOEE) takes ASU’s engineering expertise off campus through innovative online programs, short courses and global partnerships.

GOEE was formed in 2002 to provide industry partners seeking a global and flexible anytime/anyplace learning environment for their engineers to complete advanced degrees. In 2003, the program began offering engineering graduate degrees completely online. Currently, the program offers 10 master’s degree programs and three graduate-level academic certificate programs. In recent years, the programs have expanded to include undergraduate degree programs in engineering management and electrical engineering.

In national rankings by U.S. News & World Report, ASU’s engineering schools place number two for student services and technology provided in an online graduate engineering program.

GOEE administers the Higher Engineering Education Alliance Program (HEEAP), which was established in 2010 with a $5 million grant from the United States Agency of International Development (USAID) and Intel. HEEAP has since attracted additional academic and industry partners in a collaborative effort to improve the quality of Vietnam’s higher education curriculum and support the country’s growing high-tech industry.

Early success in the program has prompted further investment in an effort to accelerate efforts. In 2012, Intel, ASU and the Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training (MOET) signed a memorandum of understanding for a combined investment from Intel and MOET of more than $10 million over five years. Combined investment from industry and government partners since HEEAP was established has grown to $40 million.

The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering

In 2003, Ira A. Fulton, founder and CEO of Arizona-based Fulton Homes, established an endowment of $50 million in support of ASU’s College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. The school was renamed The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering in his honor and reconstructed to include five separate and interdisciplinary schools: The School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering, the School of Computing, Informatics and Decision Systems Engineering, the School of Electrical, Computer and Energy Engineering, the School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy, and the School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment. A sixth school, The Polytechnic School, was added in 2014 as ASU’s College of Technology and Innovation on the Polytechnic campus in Mesa merged with the Fulton Schools. Meet Ira A. Fulton

Since receiving his transformational gift, the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering have seen tremendous growth — both in scale and quality — of people and programs. Fulton’s investment has served as a catalyst for this advancement, enabling the development of a dynamic portfolio of strategic initiatives that benefits students, faculty and the communities where they live and work.

Ranked among the top 25 percent of all accredited public engineering programs in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering have experienced over five decades of phenomenal growth and success. While the principal focus is the education and training of future engineers, the schools research and outreach activities strive for engagement at diverse levels, from industry collaborations and small business partnerships to K-12 education and community involvement.

Consistent with Crow’s blueprint for a New American University, Fulton Engineering emphasizes discovery, design, innovation, entrepreneurship and societal impact. A number of innovative programs and student-centric services — E2 Camp freshman orientation, engineering residential communities, undergraduate research programs such as FURI — the Fulton Undergraduate Research Initiative, student organizations, leadership and entrepreneurship opportunities such as EPICS — the Engineering Projects in Community Service program, and tutoring and career services — are designed to support a hands-on, creative environment that is known as the Fulton Difference.

Fall 2020 enrollment was 24,994. To meet this growth and expand its research expertise in core areas of health, energy, education, security and sustainability, faculty numbers have grown to more than 355. Research expenditures for fiscal 2020 were $126 million.

Timeline and Key Events

1954
The Arizona Board of Regents authorized the establishment of the College of Applied Arts and Sciences. The new college was initially comprised of the divisions of agriculture, architecture, engineering and industrial education.

1956
The first bachelor’s degree program in engineering was approved.

1958
The college’s engineering division became the School of Engineering, and the first Engineering class graduated from Arizona State College.

1966
The School of Engineering was renamed the College of Engineering Sciences, and a separate College of Architecture was established.

1970
A Division of Construction was added to the College of Engineering Sciences, and the name of the Division of Industrial Design & Technology was shortened to Division of Technology.

1976
The College of Engineering Sciences was renamed the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences.

1988
The divisions of construction, technology and agriculture were reorganized as the Schools of Construction & Technology, and Agribusiness & Environmental Resources.

1992
Through a gift of the Del E. Webb Foundation, an endowment was set up to create the Del E. Webb School of Construction. A separate school was created for technology.

1996
The Schools of Technology and Agribusiness moved to ASU Polytechnic Campus.

2002
The Department of Bioengineering was renamed the Harrington Department of Bioengineering in honor of a $5 million gift from the Harrington Arthritis Research Center.

2003
Ira A. Fulton, founder and CEO of Fulton Homes, one of the nation’s largest builders of residential housing, established an endowment of $50 million. The College of Engineering and Applied Sciences was renamed in his honor.

2007-2008
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering commemorated 50 years of excellence in education and research.

2014
The College of Technology and Innovation on ASU’s Polytechnic campus renamed The Polytechnic School and becomes sixth school in the Fulton Schools.


USS Fulton (AS-1, PG-49)


그림 1: USS Fulton (AS-1) at the Naval Submarine Base at New London, Connecticut, during World War I. USS 불타는 (SP-680) is partially visible on the opposite side of the pier. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. 큰 이미지를 보려면 사진을 클릭하십시오.


그림 2: USS Fulton (AS-1) at the Naval Submarine Base at New London, Connecticut, during World War I. A motor launch is in the center foreground and USS 불타는 (SP-680) is at the right. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. 큰 이미지를 보려면 사진을 클릭하십시오.


그림 3: USS Fulton (AS-1) with submarines alongside, probably during or soon after World War I. The third submarine from the left (second outboard of Fulton) is a Lake-type "boat," probably L-5, L-6 또는 L-7. Donation of Captain Stephen S. Roberts, USNR (Retired), 2008. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. 큰 이미지를 보려면 사진을 클릭하십시오.


그림 4: USS Fulton (AS-1) towing the submarine G-1, circa 1915. The original print's reverse contains the hand written comment: "Towed 30 hrs. parted two line off Cape Hatteras, Fulton relieved by Castine, Castine stood by G-1 in storm off Hatteras for 48 hrs. before she could pick her up. G-1 registered a roll of 72 degrees. Arrow over rubber necks head." "Rubber neck" is probably Chief Quartermaster John Harold. Collection of Chief Quartermaster John Harold. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. 큰 이미지를 보려면 사진을 클릭하십시오.


Figure 5: Ship's Chief Petty Officers of USS Fulton (AS-1) photographed on board the ship at the New London submarine base, New London, Connecticut, in 1919. The conning tower of USS H-2 (Submarine # 29) is visible in the right background. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. 큰 이미지를 보려면 사진을 클릭하십시오.


그림 6: USS G-2 (Submarine # 27) underway, circa 1916, with USS Fulton (AS-1) following astern. Courtesy of Alfred Cellier, 1977. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. 큰 이미지를 보려면 사진을 클릭하십시오.


그림 7: USS Fulton (AS-1) underway in New York Harbor, date unknown. Photo from "Jane's All The World's Fighting Ships 1924." 큰 이미지를 보려면 사진을 클릭하십시오.

Named after the famous American inventor Robert Fulton (1765-1815), the 1,308-ton USS Fulton was a submarine tender that was built by the New London Ship and Engine Company at Groton, Connecticut, and was commissioned on 7 December 1914. The ship was approximately 226 feet long and 35 feet wide, had a top speed of 12 knots, and had a crew of 135 officers and men. Fulton was armed with two 3-inch guns.

After being commissioned, Fulton spent the first six months of her career tending submarines at Norfolk, Virginia Charleston, South Carolina New York City and Newport, Rhode Island. Then, after undergoing an overhaul, she arrived at New London, Connecticut, on 2 November 1915. New London would be Fulton’s primary base of operations until 1922, although during that time she also visited ports along America’s east coast, the Caribbean, and Cuba. Fulton also participated in numerous naval exercises, acted as the station ship at New London, and during the summer of 1922 served as the flagship for the Commander of the Atlantic Submarine Flotillas.

Fulton became a submarine tender at Coco Solo, Panama Canal Zone, on 4 April 1923 and for the next year participated in naval exercises on both sides of the Panama Canal. During that time, she also completed a survey of Almirante Bay, Panama. Fulton returned to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 14 July 1925 and was decommissioned there and placed in reserve on 5 October.

Fulton was re-commissioned on 2 September 1930 and was given the assignment of acting as a survey ship in the Panama Canal Zone. On 29 September 1930, Fulton was re-classified a gunboat and designated PG-49. On 3 March 1931, Fulton returned to Balboa, Panama, but was eventually sent to San Diego, California, arriving there on 13 August 1932. Once in San Diego, she was converted into a gunboat to serve with the US Asiatic Fleet in Hong Kong. Fulton arrived at Hong Kong on 3 November 1932. Although she made occasional trips to the Cavite Navy Yard in the Philippines, Fulton’s primary assignment was to patrol off the southern coast of China, from Hong Kong to Canton. Like all US Navy gunboats at that time, her primary duty was to protect American lives and property in China. But on 14 March 1934, disaster struck when a major fire broke out amidships on board Fulton. Faulty exhaust lines from a diesel engine ignited some oil and the fire spread rapidly. The crew quickly assembled on the bow and the stern of the ship, awaiting rescue. Fortunately, the British destroyer HMS Wishart and the steamer SS Tsinan were able to come alongside the stricken American gunboat and evacuate the crew. Another British destroyer, HMS Whitshed, stood by the burning ship until a salvage party made up of Fulton’s crewmembers could be placed on board the gunboat. Once they were finally transferred back to Fulton, the salvage party managed to bring the fire under control. An American tug towed Fulton to Hong Kong where she received emergency repairs which enabled her to be towed to Cavite. Fulton made it to Cavite but was probably considered not worth salvaging because she was decommissioned on 12 May 1934. After twenty years of service, USS Fulton was sold for scrapping on 6 June 1935.

Fire has been and always will be a major danger on board all ships. Fortunately, the fire that destroyed USS Fulton did not claim any lives.